Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recruiting 101


Since it's the start of another year, let me break down something that most parents aren't aware of regarding being recruited and getting a scholarship. I did a story over a year ago which showed the percentages  and those numbers are somewhat alarming. Let me point out a few things that go into the misconception of what works.

1.SCORING-Colleges are looking for players to fit into their systems and scoring a lot of points does not necessarily equate into being something they are looking for. A few years a go, there was a young lady that led the area in scoring at over 25 ppg, had at least 5 games in which she scored at least 40 and didn't receive any offers

2.EXPOSURE EVENTS-No one is going to give you anything for showing up somewhere, you have to perform and be in the right system to showcase your skills, otherwise you may EXPOSE your weaknesses

3. RECEIVING LETTERS-This is a good thing however it doesn't necessarily mean a lot. Most are form letters sent out in masses, in fact on occasion I have actually received some telling me how well I played and not only do I rarely play, contrary to rumor I'm not even a female

I've met so many parents who are naive and I can't tell you how many have told me North Carolina and LSU were recruiting their daughters who are seniors and never made all anything on sub .500 high school teams. Sometimes you need an advocate and a perfect analogy would be you make the best cake in the county however the Food Network has never heard of you, well consider me sort of like the Alton Brown of girl's basketball.

Seriously to find out more or if you need help, email me at simmie@girlzprepreport.com